In addition to our weekly worship services on Saturday and Sunday, St. Andrew’s offers midweek worship in the weeks leading up to Christmas and Easter, as well as other special services throughout the year:
- Advent and Lent — We worship using the Holden Evening Prayer service at 7:00 pm on the three Wednesdays before Christmas week and the five Wednesdays before Easter. Holden Evening Prayer is about 40 minutes in length and features lovely music, quiet meditation, prayer, and a brief sermon. No communion is served. Childcare is provided in our preschool area at these services.
- Lessons & Carols — The weekend before Christmas our choirs and musicians present a service of lessons & carols. On Sunday, each of the three services are nearly the same, with the choirs singing several anthems interspersed with a layperson reading a selection of Bible passages. On Saturday the service is similar, except the congregation is invited to sing along with several of the carols. Communion is served and childcare is provided in our preschool area at all four weekend services.
- Christmas Eve — Family worship at 5:00 pm in the Community Center includes our Joyful Noise Children’s Choir, a children’s sermon, and special music provided by younger members of the congregation. Communion is served at this service. Childcare is provided in our preschool area. Candlelight Worship at 7:00 pm in the Community Center includes special music from our combined Folk Group/Celebrate Singers, a children’s sermon, communion, and singing “Silent Night” by candlelight. Childcare is provided in our preschool area. Candlelight Worship at 10:30 pm in the Sanctuary features special music from our Chancel Choir, communion, and singing “Silent Night” by candlelight. No childcare is provided at this service.
- Christmas Day — celebrate the birth of our Lord by attending worship at 10:00 am in the sanctuary. Special music, a Christmas Carol liturgy, and communion are offered at this service.
- Ash Wednesday — 6 weeks before Easter is the beginning of Lent. Ash Wednesday is the first day of that season. Worship at noon and 7:00 pm includes imposition of ashes and communion. Childcare is provided at the 7:00 service only.
- Palm / Passion Sunday — at all four of our weekend worship services the week prior to Easter, we celebrate Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem where he faced betrayal, trial, and execution. The worship space is decorated with palms, choirs sing special songs, and the story of Jesus’ betrayal, trial, and death is read in Readers’ Theater style, from one of the four gospels. Communion is served at all four services, and childcare is provided in our preschool area at all four services.
- Maundy Thursday — The Thursday before Easter is called Maundy Thursday. (Some may refer to this day as Holy Thursday) Maundy is from the Latin word for commandment. This day is remembered as the “Last Supper” where Jesus instituted holy communion and commanded his disciples to serve others. Worship takes place at noon and 7:00 pm. Communion is served, and childcare is provided in our preschool area during both services.
- Good Friday — the Friday before Easter is known as Good Friday. This day is remembered as the day Jesus was crucified and died. The noon service includes reflections and hymns. The 7:00 pm service, called Tenebrae (service of darkness) includes Jesus’ seven last words, short reflections, and choir anthems. The service ends in silence and darkness.
- Easter — We celebrate the resurrection of Jesus on Saturday at 5:00 pm, and Sunday at 6:30 am, 8:00 am, 9:30 am and 11:00 am. Our 6:30 am service is outside on the courtyard (weather permitting). Childcare is provided in our preschool area for all except the 6:30 am service, and communion is served at all five Easter services.